Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Thing 15: Wiki, Wiki, Wiki

Thing 15: Wiki, Wiki, Wiki

Wikis and Collaborative Knowledge

I am an avid user of wikis, though I do not regularly do much editing.  Wikis are a great source of information, whether in a general sense (such as Wikipedia), or more particular details in specifically-themed wikis.  Wikis which I use are things like theopedia (a Christian theology wiki), philosophy.wikia (a philosophy wiki), and other such examples of themed wikis. 

I have edited on wikis before, but only to correct minor errors, or add new information on a topic which had yet to be added or updated.  I don't often edit on more popular wikis, since I do not necessarily feel qualified, but have done so on lesser-known and themed wikis.

Wikis can be used in a classroom setting by creating a class subject wiki where the students can collaborate to inform certain topics.  Also, wikis can be used to teach critical thinking and analyzation skills by showing the unreliability of such information sources. 

No comments:

Post a Comment